1.8 Enchanting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JacobiCarter, Dec 3, 2014.

1. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

So my personal opinion on the 1.8 enchanting system is that it is even easier than the 1.3 enchanting system.

It is my thought that on LOA, in order to keep people from "beating the game" in a couple of days, that acquiring the levels and enchanting should involve some effort. This view is demonstrably not shared by Mojang.

For those unaware of the 1.8 enchanting changes, here's how it works in vanilla 1.8:
    • Max level is 30.
    • You see at least one of the enchantments that will be applied before picking it.
    • Lapis lazuli (1, 2 or 3, depending on the level) is required to enchant.
    • The number of lapis lazuli you put in is how many levels are deducted.
      • This means that if you have 30 levels, and enchant at level 30 and it costs 3 lapis lazuli, you now will have 27 levels left, and if you want to enchant at level 30 again, you only have to get enough XP to get from level 27 to level 30.

The real question is what should we do about enchanting with the 1.8 update getting closer and closer?

A few things we could do:
    1. Leave it unmodified and go with the 1.8 enchanting system.
    2. Change it in any combination of these ways:
      • Enchantments given for a given level
      • Max enchantment level
      • Number of levels deducted
    3. I don't know if we could change the number of lapis lazuli required
    4. I don't think we can change that we are showing one of the enchantments before enchanting.
    Anyway, what is everyone's thoughts on the matter?

2. tidag
    Batty

tidag Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    a1c0c078-b62b-4d35-ab16-306438652913
    I think that the anvils are the big thing that require some levels and lapis just because of all that god gear that is nearly broken can't be repaired, I also think that there should still be a small mystery of what you're going to get so let that part stay the same.

3. Anonymous Poster

Anonymous Poster Guest

I say that we stick to vanilla, staying true to LOA's vanilla aspect.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    You forgot to mention that the enchantment outcomes for that particular item don't change until you enchant it. (Or a different item, I'm not 100% sure about that part.)

Anyway, I like the idea of preserving some XP, just not if you use the max enchant. My idea:

1 lapiz: lose 1/3 of your XP and the half cost of the enchantment.
    2 lapiz: lose 2/3 of your XP and the cost of the enchantment.
    3 lapiz: lose all your XP.

As for the max level, I think the 3 lapiz enchantment should cost between 30-60 levels. This way, only the god gear junkies are really slowed down by the enchant system, but the casual people aren't.

• Like Like x 2
  5. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    I agree with mattvision. If anything, you want level 1-10 range enchants to work exactly the same for low level players, but let the end grinder people still work as hard.

6. voiredire
    Balanced

voiredire Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    779c1c4a-a47e-48e4-b75e-f7061f1f6406

At the moment I favor this idea, though I haven't seen an example in action. 3 lapis max enchant level 60 seems perfectly acceptable. I like the idea of keeping low level enchants vanilla.

However, in tandem with this compromise I would like to see anvil mechanics pegged to the pre-1.8 version. Good gear was hard enough to repair and maintain before keeping it maintained indefinitely was made impossible. With the vanilla 1.8 system, even with the low level cost of enchanting, you might only get 1 or 2 repairs on your god-tier tools/weapons/armor before you are unable to repair it any further and are forced to create a new piece from scratch. If enchanting is made more difficult, anvils being equally prohibitive to use is unacceptable.