1.8 Enchanting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twosies__, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Twosies__
    Feminine

Twosies__ VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:
    3f2285c2-e6ce-4009-a5fd-47d41f6b806e
    For those not in the know, Minecraft's 1.8 update is planned to have a new enchanting system. To get top-tier enchants, the player still needs to have 30 levels, but on enchanting, the player will only lose 3 levels. The enchant will also cost lapis lazuli. To balance the new higher value of levels, each level will require more experience than currently. Overall, the new system will provide more opportunities to get enchanted gear, with a little more control over what enchants we get.

I think the new system is different, and not hugely better or worse. What I do think is important, however, is that we should update and maintain relevant vanilla mechanics. I think it'd be pretty bad if new users joined the server, especially those who will have been unfamiliar with old mechanics, and found themselves playing a different game than what they see in singleplayer survival.

I bring this up because I've heard through grapevines that LOA will not update its enchanting to the new 1.8 system. If this is true, I urge the admins to reconsider. At least for me, LOA's attraction was that it had pure vanilla gameplay. The tweaks like voting and keys seemed unintrusive enough, and in the case of a regenerating spawn, kind of a good thing. The game is still at least pretty close to not being pay-to-win, and very close to pure vanilla. But, the more LOA deviates from vanilla, especially if we throw away Minecraft's core mechanics and replace them with our own, the less appealing the server is to me.

I think, as usual, we need to decide what we want LOA to be. If we want it to be a harder-than-vanilla test-your-balls sort of game, then actually go there and do things like up mob spawn rates, give players lower max health, all kind of things you could do to make LOA harder and more annoying to play. But, if we rather want LOA to be as close as it can be to a pure vanilla no-rules server, then let's not go dancing in other directions, adding artificial difficulty to the game. After all, this server was made for, and is tailored to, vanilla gameplay. Not the other way around.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  2. King_Gooby
    Apple Fan

King_Gooby VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:
    10da7c04-9bcb-4c93-94fb-50e1297ea880
    Not only that but we'll have op bitches running around the world with sharp V's and all sorts of god equipment.

3. Justin526
    Mind-Blowing

Justin526 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    46e5b70d-9d7d-4900-86bd-3c84527c28bb
    Wouldn't really be OP if everyone can get good equipment, Goobs. But I hear what you are saying, Twosies. I for one think the 30 levels system is stupid, as well as the new changes, but in the name of vanilla, it might be best for the server. Hell, maybe spawn PvP will become a regular thing again if gear becomes next to worthless in the update.

4. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    Or they could just had copy inventory so prot 4 "battles" are more common. But i must say, with the new enchant system, repairing some god tools and armor will now be possible, and it's only about 14 levels. To be honest, that amount can be achieved within minutes with an efficient enderman grinder. Of course almost everybody donor on the server has one now, so it's a little balanced. But I still believe that this new enchant system is to OP.

5. CommieSpectre
    Cheerful

CommieSpectre Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    a7d37cf8-cde0-4173-8752-c96a6c403852
    If n00bs had enough diamonds to run around not caring about loosing their port 4 diamond armor, then we'ed all be in trouble

6. King_Gooby
    Apple Fan

King_Gooby VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:
    Exactly, all it takes is for some noob to get ahold of some diamond armor, save up xp and before you know it, everyone on the server be wearing prot IV.

7. CommieSpectre
    Cheerful

Minecraft UUID:
    But seriously, when is the last time you've seen a noob in diamond armor?

8. toamini
    Unlucky

toamini Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    0a157d17-9f10-4304-9813-b59917b98438
    All the damn time.

9. CommieSpectre
    Cheerful

Minecraft UUID:
    Strange because I never see them.

10. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    If noobs had prot 4, it wouldn't exactly be ideal, but it would make things more balanced. If the only people who could get prot 4 were the people who had tpa and sethome, how is the server going to look? It will look like a pay to win server. Even if that wasnt a problem, what would the server be, other than unbalanced? We would have all the same AA dicks running around, killing noobs in iron gear, with all out god gear, bragging about it, then making all our brand new players think "this is just another gay server where the ops suck all the donor's cocks, for paying them $50 of their parents money every month." And when that happens, were stuck with a low audience of regular players, and a group of ass wipes, who think they are supermen. That noob, or otherwise, they are invincible, and everyone else is their bitch. That they are, and always will be, better than you, and everyone. It's LOA's version of what you will likely see on any other random server.

Anyway, all I am saying, is that if it is almost as easy for someone with no access to an end grinder to make prot 4, as someone with an end grinder, the server would appear more ballanced. A green named player, will for once, be able to stand up to people who are mass producing god gear.

If like what the people above me are saying is true, that it would be easier for players without /home to make prot 4 under the 1.8 enchantment system, then I am for it. (Just my opinion)

11. King_Gooby
    Apple Fan

King_Gooby VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:

Fucking barakobama donating thousands of dollars to LOA everyday. For xp or buying the stuff. I dont know 1 person on LOA who has said they have more that 3 sets of IV. Spawn actully gives decent xp, grinding mobs there. Just stay for a night or two and your probably alrady at 20. Get a noob to vote a couple times and earn an encahnting table. Stays around spawn and grinds. Gets diamond armor and you will see people running around at spawn with prot IV. All day everyday prot IV on everyone on LOA. Plus during this wont THEY be producing a shit ton of god too?

12. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    Wut? You haven't seen somebody say they have more than three sets? I have like 11 sets.

13. CommieSpectre
    Cheerful

Minecraft UUID:
    God gear becomes meaningless if everyone has it.

14. legacy_BlownUpCreeperX

legacy_BlownUpCreeperX New Member

Well I got a full set of Blast Protection 4 so it beats you all.

15. King_Gooby
    Apple Fan

King_Gooby VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:
    Freaking exactly. Its just gona become 1 op server where people are flooding chests full of prot IV.

16. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    Plus during this wont THEY be producing a shit ton of god too?

Well, they would have to get the bookshelves, which is a challenge for a spawn ant. Chances are, they would lose their first few sets at spawn, until they learn that going to spawn in god gear for no apparent reason = bad idea.

I doubt they would want to have more than 1 set at a time. It's pointless to them, because most of them don't want to achieve dominance on LOA. Stockpiling prot 4 for a regular noob, would be like an even less rich noob stockpiling iron gear. I highly doubt that just going to spawn at all, will get you caught in a shit storm of god gear pvp.

Prot 4 isn't exactly pointless if everybody has it. It makes the game balanced, so those people who never talk in chat, or walk around above their base, or god forbid make a nether portal, will have a better chance against people who brag about their 30 sets of prot 4. I see what you mean, in saying that nobody wants god gear to become a casual thing. But if people who have /sethome are the only ones who can make prot 4 in less than a day, LOA might as well be a pay to win server. People who donate or have VIP shouldn't have such an obvious advantage over people who don't.

I think we would see a lot more of our new players coming on LOA often, if we stick with the 1.8 enchanting system.

17. toamini
    Unlucky

toamini Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    0a157d17-9f10-4304-9813-b59917b98438
    I have multiple sets of each protection set up to IV, such as fire and projectile.

18. CommieSpectre
    Cheerful

Minecraft UUID:
    I admit that what matt said was true. I can't think of one person without donor or VIP*, besides halo who had prot 4 =/

19. tidag
    Batty

tidag Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    a1c0c078-b62b-4d35-ab16-306438652913
    I only had 2 protection 4 sets.... and lost one and griefed another

20. Twosies__
    Feminine

Twosies__ VIP VIP

Minecraft UUID:
    3f2285c2-e6ce-4009-a5fd-47d41f6b806e
    If everyone had access to prot IV, then maybe something more meaningful than grind time and donations would contribute to dominating LOA. Like smart thinking, or strength in numbers.