Muters

Discussion in 'General Information' started by SnoFox, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SnoFox

SnoFox Administrator Staff Member Administrator Subscriber VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    9f662928-1078-4fcd-b728-4798db6edf94
    So here on LOA with the hundreds of users we get, we also get hundreds of spammers. To help the mod team combat spammers we occasionally pick out random users to help us with this, and give them the ability to mute people. I've named this group "muters".

Muters are only able to mute and view the mute status/reason of someone. They must abide by the same policies moderators would if they do mute someone and may not override a mute set by a moderator or administrator.

We mute for the following reasons:
    1. Spam. Spam constitutes of the same message being repeated four or more times in a short timespan. Messages pointlessly repeated throughout the day may also be considered spam.
    2. Flood. Flooding is the sending multiple messages in sequence in an effort to either be seen or stop other people from using the chat.
    3. Advertising. Most servers who have advertisements spammed are small, low quality servers where the admin is desperate for users and wants people to /kill randomly. Enjoy that. Other servers spammed in chat are often servers designed to steal your account information. That's not much better.

You may use your personal discretion to be more lenient if you so desire (for example, I (crispy1989) personally am a little more understanding of people yelling about teamkilling and stuff, but it's up to you). It's usually pretty clear what constitutes spam, so use your best judgement. As this is an anarchy server, we tend to lean towards leniency, but again, it's up to you.

You may NOT mute someone because they are annoying you, trolling you, or saying something you don't like (unless they are also spamming).

Generally, on first offense, we mute someone temporarily. On second offense, evasion attempt, or for particularly bad spamming (usually spamming intended for no purpose other than to disrupt the server), we mute permanently.

Both mods and muters should follow these guidelines. Muters should also provide a reason in the /mute command as to why the mute was awarded. Muters, mods, nor admins can mute for personal reasons (ex, insults, annoyance), only the above guidelines. Failure to abide by this will result in loss of mute abilities, an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. You can appeal mutes on the Ban/Mute/Jail Appeal section of the forum. Be sure to include the time of your mute so we can go fetch chat logs.

Muters have access to the following commands:

/mute player time reason
    Where time is seconds to be muted. If time is 0, the mute will be permanent. If left out, it will default to 15 minutes. (Note: If you put a number in the first word of your mute reason, it will be interpreted as the amount of time to mute for.)

Time is specified in seconds, OR by suffixing the number with a time unit. For example, 1h = 1 hour, 1d12h = one day and twelve hours. Valid time units: years (y), months (M), weeks (w), days (d), hours (h), minutes (m), seconds (s).

/unmute player
    Unmute the player.

/ismuted player
    Checks to see if a player is muted. If they are, tells you by whom, how long, and why.

Templates
    Templates are a way to mute someone with a predetermined amount of time and reason without having to type all the extra stuffs. It detects templates based on the mute reason you provide. Currently we have two template configured:

(permanent mute) /mute <player> ads
    (one hour mute) /mute <player> spam

"ads" must be typed exactly like that. No trailing characters or anything.

Edit: I felt the guidelines may not have been clear enough. Just to clear some things up I've included a small section that tells how moderators should handle the guidelines, and I'd like them to include the muters as well. -clueless222

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Bancey
    Fine

Bancey Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    eaec90ad-dec9-4792-9f5f-7ba6071a8c58
    The death bit sounds fun :p

3. legacy_Kalodiin

legacy_Kalodiin New Member

Haha, Portal reference... So does that mean that losing Muter status will actually be followed by a mod/admin using the /kill command on us? :eek:

4. legacy_nomoreacorns

legacy_nomoreacorns New Member

5. Bancey
    Fine

Bancey Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    No.
    Its just a phrase...
    I think but then again its SnoFox.
    You never know...
    -Bancey

6. legacy_taggerungkid

legacy_taggerungkid New Member

Bit late-
    Is it possible to apply to become a muter?

7. toamini
    Unlucky

toamini Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    0a157d17-9f10-4304-9813-b59917b98438
    If the user says a completely pointless message over and over again why does that not count as mute?

8. clueless222
    Afraid

clueless222 The Silent Kitty Staff Member Administrator Donor LOF Whitelisted

Is it in rapid succession?

9. toamini
    Unlucky

Minecraft UUID:
    5 times with quickly, yes

10. clueless222
    Afraid

Generally we count anything 4 times quickly that doesn't look like readable English as spam. However, you can use your own discretion and raise or lower the number of lines that make it through. Personally I warn if it's less than 4, and after that one more warning then mute.

11. Justin526
    Mind-Blowing

Justin526 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    46e5b70d-9d7d-4900-86bd-3c84527c28bb
    Hey I don't know if it was intentional, but I seem to have lost my mute powers. Any chance of me getting them back?

12. SnoFox

SnoFox Administrator Staff Member Administrator Subscriber VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    Dunno what happened, will look into it next time I see you online.

13. toamini
    Unlucky

Minecraft UUID:
    I just had a great idea, what if muters got their own muter tag and a color, I'm thinking something like an apple red. it could warn off spammers to not mute ever ;)

14. clueless222
    Afraid

No. Apple red is reserved for Staff. As are Light blue, and Dark blue.

15. toamini
    Unlucky

Minecraft UUID:
    not the point clue, maybe lime green? also I have a question, if somene says an IP, I mute them forever and reloggs as an account stating they are an alt can I mute them aswell?

16. eastridge

eastridge Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    291de4ad-dc25-43ba-bb97-30c9b9076e6b
    yes. alike banned accounts alternate accounts suffer all of the same punishment.

17. SnoFox

Minecraft UUID:
    No, muters will not get a tag or a color. Sorry.

My purpose of creating the muter group is simply to make your enjoyment better - so you don't have to look at the flooding/spamming when mods aren't around.

18. legacy_Radiant9d

legacy_Radiant9d New Member

Hey Snow. I often play in the late morning / lunch time EST. There is often no mods on nor muters. This wasn't an issue before, but now its summer and there have been several annoying kids spamming dumb shit all morning. Can I or someone else who is often on during this time get mute ability please? (Note: I've been around for over a year now. I'm trustworthy :D )

Thanks.

19. legacy_henrykeski

legacy_henrykeski New Member

Yeah radiant9d I have the same problem, Theres way too many muters that play in the afternoon-night (11:30) theres no one on at the times I play on 12:00-2:00AM and late mornings.

I've seen spammers on at these times AND No muters on. I've had to leave because theres been no muters on.

Funny thought instead of muters why not have an auto mute system. :eek:

20. Bancey
    Fine

Bancey Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    Auto mute systems are VERY unreliable.
    They either mute everyone or no-one at all.