Seriously, what's going on at this point?

Discussion in 'LOA Discussion' started by mattvision09, Apr 27, 2015.

Do you think the admins are neglecting the server when it needs their attention the most?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I left months ago, so I don't have context to compare it to.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    [​IMG]

Some of you may have noticed that in the past few months, every post I have made concerns the supposed demise of LOA. As it happens, the only ones who think I'm paranoid and crazy are the admins, who don't want to do anything to save the server.

What I want to ask the admins, is if we are wasting our time by not abandoning ship and just giving up on LOA. Do you guys legitimately not care what happens to LOA at this point? I know SnoFox doesn't though he won't admit it out of professionalism, but the rest, I am seriously asking if you've lost hope in LOA. If so, please tell us so we can stop wasting our time here, trying to bring the server back to the golden age, waiting until changes are made and the server comes back to life.

A sect of your playerbase shows more concern, more urgency for the future of your server than you do. Do you not realize the reality of this, and what it spells out for your competency as the administrators of a server? I know you guys don't want to spend every waking minute working for the server, but when you admit you see the problem with its lack of population, and understand the problem needs to be fixed, what do we see you doing? Ignoring all the threads where your feedback and discussion among the community will be extremely useful, hiding in mumble to dick around on some other video games and listen to SnoFox getting drunk.

You can no longer use the "admins need a personal life" excuse here, because we've seen you dedicate almost no time to working for the server, and this during a time when you knowingly acknowledge that the server is dead. You see the fire, you say the fire is bad, but instead of being urgent and putting the fire out, you wait for the rain to come.

No, the server is not going to magically heal itself the day summer comes around. If that worked, it would have worked every fall-spring-winter break this year, and last year. We saw a short lived bump in players, and last spring break it was barely even noticeable. Unless something fundamental about the server is changed, we cannot expect different results from just waiting for summer.

What was the definition of insanity again?

When we make threads about how the server is dying and something needs to be done, we rarely get a response. Do the admins even read them? What do they think when they do? Why don't they respond, so that productive conversation can be produced?

The vast majority of the community left long ago, in different instances. I'm already aware of 2 servers that were made for exodus out of LOA. So many people left, abandoned ship, and I don't blame them. The only reason I'm still around is because I think it's statistically more likely that this server can be revived, than it is for me to find any server that matches LOA's quality.

And that's the part that's so infuriating to me, is that you're letting a gem among dogshit fall into the bottom of the pile. The vast, vast pile of dogshit that is the MC community. And while you say you don't want it to fall into the bottom of the pile, you don't think it's going to reach the bottom of the pile, you fail to do anything to help bring it back to the top.

OK, so maybe a few recent changes have been LOA based. Bringing that up is only relevant because of the timing of this post. The two recent changes have done nothing, which is ultimately what counts. If there was any urgency for the future of LOA, you guys would be dedicating as much time, if not more, than I am to fixing it.

I was prepared to parody an ISIS propaganda video, to help bring the server back up on its feet. While that was happening, the admins sat around in mumble laughing at SnoFox being drunk.

I designed a new Nexus, pointed out what I thought was wrong with the current one, asked for feedback, made changes based on that feedback, hoping it would make the small difference we need right now. The admins continue to laugh at DrunkFox.

I made posts on Reddit to advertise the server, twice, and still the admins meanwhile showed minimalist effort towards fixing the server.

I'm not proud of it, but I made a minecraft r34 thread on 8chan with the IP attached to the post, hoping people would come and bring some life back to the server.

And let's not forget the countless rants I have made here on the forums, about what I think needs to be done, and the conversations that follow.

The admins, a short redesign of spawn and the tablist, call it good, go back to laughing at drunk SnoFox.

And it's not that they aren't doing anything, but it's that there's no urgency with what they do. When they change something in hopes that it will fix anything, they don't go back to the drawing board and think "alright, what else can we do?", they go back to LOF and pretend that counts as running the server. There is no visible desire to get LOA back on its feet, and I think that if there was, this problem wouldn't exist.

The admins are a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and I'm not doubting their ability to bring the server back to life, as much as I am doubting their desire to. But in the long run, that difference doesn't matter, because they both produce the same result: a dead server.

Those who feel the same way about this: get in mumble to remind the admins that there is still and LOA community, and that we don't want to see the work they've shared with the world to go to waste. Even if you don't say anything, muted and deafened, be in the channel as much as possible, and maybe we can send the admins a message.

2. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Not true.

If I didn't, would I really be paying $500/month out of pocket for the server?

Soon.

I have 0 unread posts on this forum.

Other than Nexus (and invisible players on some teleports), what is technically broken with LOA? I'd say that if someone were joining for LOA specifically, that Nexus is not the issue. What is it, then, that has made your efforts at getting people on LOA not work; and what do you want us to do to fix it?

That was phase 2. Phase 1 was 1.8 + enchanting rework. Phase 3 is coming soon.

Do you want lots of small changes coming out weekly, or our eternal presence on LOA chat? What do you want to see as far as desire?

Sure. Mumble has been fairly empty as of late. Even the regulars that are still on LOA aren't on Mumble anymore.

3. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    To Cobi and the other staff,

I understand that running a server is not easy, but we really do need change. I am not saying that you are not working hard, though. I myself could never do better. I also understand how implementing changes is no easy task as well,

But if I could wish for one thing, it would be having noticeable LOA advertising in chat.

4. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

smalltanuki VIP VIP LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    6534dfd6-5c92-4033-83f0-13d03eb08996
    Look, they're trying. They're not neglecting the server, as they are still to do SOMETHING.
    However, the server needs to stop TRYING, and start DOING.

5. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    Again, like I said, LOA can't rely on summer to come in and save it every year. Summer is a finite period of time, and when it's over, LOA will just fall back into the abyss. And even when summer does come around, I'd say LOA is still pretty slow for what it used to be, and for the amount of players that visit. Just going through the list of UUIDs invited to the DKM channel, I was able to count upwards of 70 (We began recruiting around December of '13). That means, there are 70+ people who happened to come to LOA while I was on, ask if they can join a team, and get into DKM. If there are more than 70 people who fit those specific parameters, what about the people who came to LOA when I wasn't on? Or weren't recruited to DKM? Yet for some reason, all those people are leaving shortly after joining. With all the welcome messages we see, none of the newcomers ever seem to stay. People who saw LOA, thought they would be interested in an anarchy style of game play, but came to LOA and left for some reason.

If they are leaving, what could be causing them to do so? Most likely, given the circumstances of LOA, it's that they came for anarchy, and player induced chaos, but saw none. I know I'm repeating myself here, but it seems like the only factor that we have some amount of control over.

All fair points, thank you.

I should have used a better word choice to describe LOA than 'broken', but 'dead' and 'ghost town' started to sound redundant.

As I explained later on in that post, the reason nothing has worked is because no matter how many people we see coming to LOA, they all seem to leave shortly. Even if we successfully made the ISLA video, many of the newcomers would leave shortly as long as they realize LOA is dead. Unless the video somehow went viral, it would have been a failed tactic. I didn't see that at the time.

Again, as stated later on in that post, I think desegregation of the dominant communities of LOA would be the best way to fix it. If one out of every 100 TD players to come to the server decides they like LOA, they are a small part of building a permanent audience. They are the demographic that won't leave when they realize LOA is a ghost town, because they also have TD to come back to. And they won't just play TD once and never return again, because they have a survival server to come back to. Especially if they have other friends with them (like many TD players do), they won't care if LOA is usually empty.

The reason I think this is an important part of the change LOA needs to see, is because the server's inability to regain a permanent community is due to an aforementioned vicious cycle. (The one where new players come to LOA, then they leave because there's nobody around, and there's nobody around because people keep leaving.) I don't see TD players caring as much that there's nobody in LOA, and those who do still come to the server for TD, their presence in LOA might be enough for people to actually stay.

I see. Good luck with it, I hope it works out well.

All I can really ask for without being demanding is that you discuss with the community here more often, especially when it comes to our concern for the future of the server. Everyone who still uses the forums is expresses their worry about what's to become of LOA, with you and the other admins being the only exception. When someone has an idea that could help save the server, we all go into discussion about it. But it's rare that we see any feedback from you guys, and that defeats the purpose of having those discussions, or even a board for suggestions and complaints.

To us, it shows that you don't care enough about what happens to the server to collaborate with the community. If someone's suggestion doesn't work or isn't going to happen, we want an explanation why. And if they suggest an alternative, we expect the same. We want to work with you, exchange ideas, and do what we can to help you make the server better. I know a lot of those discussions turn to absurdity, begging, and hostility (and there was a lot of unnecessary hostility in my original post on this thread, which I apologize for), but it should be clear when we are trying to work with you for the good of this server, and when we are harassing you guys to nerf zeus. Lately, most of these discussions on the forums have been about the former.

But while we make all these threads, go on and on about our various ideas, some good, some bad, we see nothing from you. And your voice in these threads is arguably the most important one, because you're the ones with the experience running the server, and ultimately the ones who make the final decision. So the lack of collaboration and feedback from you guys when we have these discussions, tells us that you simply don't care.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. toamini
    Unlucky

toamini Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    0a157d17-9f10-4304-9813-b59917b98438
    Matt got #rekt by Cobi

7. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    I don't think that was me being rekt. That was him responding calmly and professionally to a post I made in frustration at 1:00 in the morning.

8. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    I think the most active we have had recently from a higher players point of view was AOT. Maybe we need some person to attack somebody else, or maybe we need to try to get some appeal from the people who are used to the faction servers. An average faction server always has about 70 people on (I think). If somebody comes from a faction server, they're not going to stick around on a server were you have to travel out, there isn't a /wilderness command, and you don't immediately get a free faction sethome. If people come on to the server, they need to know what they have to do to be successful. They can't get on, then immediately see TD people talking strategy. Maybe if the TD servers entered a different channel, or something.

The LOA community needs to be more active in the direction the server goes. We can't be relying on the admins who always play on LOF and never come to LOA.

9. Anonymous Poster

Anonymous Poster Guest

some, not all, ppl come to vanilla survival for a peaceful place to build shit. How would a newcomer know about a current war anyway?

speaking of activity, i dont think ive seen u often lately

10. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

Minecraft UUID:
    Maybe I need to start being a bitch again :):finger:

11. tidag
    Batty

tidag Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    a1c0c078-b62b-4d35-ab16-306438652913
  12. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    I'm not talking about the small group of people who have clans. The war culture was never intended to be part of LOA, it just sort of happened because of the circumstances.

The spirit of LOA was to be a survival server that lets you play the game as you choose, without a million rules to limit your experience. In its purest form, that's all it is, and all it is encouraged to be. A huge part of it means people will raid and kill each other, and then a side effect of that was some kid is going to create a militia and try to establish order on behalf of those who can't protect themselves...

And that's part of the reason this server is known for hating factions. They make clans factions willy nilly, for no reason other than it being a game mechanic. When people on LOA make clans, they have a real reason to do it, they have a goal in mind, there's actual passion and purpose behind why those clans exist, and why those people organized while others didn't. On factions, they exist because that's how the game is played, and because of that, they lack substance.

13. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

CTCodemonkey Subscriber Subscriber Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    066eb27c-3a49-4331-b1df-815f23219ade
    I'd like to take this moment to voice my concerns about the most recent spawn. It destroyed the oldest and most anarchy part of the server. Literally wiped it clean. LOA was built on the foundation of peasants who paved the bridge to the end portal, only to be paved for a new parking lot on the whims of the 1%. I used that bridge many a time back when I was a bright-eyed noob, before I sold out and became just another unlimited homeset owning faggot.

What was the thought process behind that? There is no new terrain, the new spawn looks worse than ever, and LOA's most exclusive feature - it's age and history - has been pushed aside in favor of... nothing, I guess? I don't see the appeal.

As usual I agree with Mattvision and his suggestions, which as usual will fall on deaf ears.

EDIT: I'll add a couple of my own suggestions, which I've posted at least a few times in threads like this one.

1: Just give everyone free tp + a sethome. It's really not fucking rocket science to see how much that would help people stick around.

2: Never move spawn again and get rid of the regen because it's mad gay. I forgot to even MENTION the fact that Tokra's Wall has been reduced from a shock and awe introduction to LOA, to another random place you can visit for the low price of 20$.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    The regenerating spawn point serves a valid purpose: that is to make sure it's realistic to survive on your way out. Back on No Rules, I was never able to leave spawn until I voted one day and got some wheat. The reason being that there were no trees anywhere close enough to spawn that I wouldn't starve to death by the time I got there. Same with animals, because the terrain was torn up and nothing spawned.

At the last spawn point, regeneration was a problem because it made spawn look untouched, which on an anarchy server will drive people away. This one keeps some space above ground where regeneration doesn't happen, the border is closer, and it tells you you're in the regeneration zone, so people know why the ground at least looks untouched.

Also, you can still take a portal or /warp to newspawn, so you don't need a home to get to the wall.

But you do bring up a good point about the tp + sethome. (about now would be when the admins should engage in discussion with us. Cobi, just to get their attention.)
    I remember not too long ago, Cobi mentioned the possibility of having temporary home and TPA features payable with diamonds. I don't think flat out free tpa and sethome is the best idea (though I'm not opposed to it), I think that would be a good system, along with a lot (very much a lot) of additional opportunities to earn VIP. Without it, the donation system has P2W written all over it. That is one of many turn-offs to a lot of people.

15. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

*cough*somethingaboutphase3*cough*

• Like Like x 1
  16. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

Minecraft UUID:
    The regenerating spawn doesn't matter to me that much, but was it really necessary to erase the oldest part of the map?

17. JacobiCarter
    Fine

For what it is worth, when that spawn was active before (in 1.2-1.3), we did regenerate it almost every other day.

18. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    Is there any way for the Legion community to help or aid "Phase 3 (which im hype for)" ?

I hope Phase 3 includes the new awesome looking LOB spawn (which im hype for too)

19. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

Minecraft UUID:
    Yes TIDAG. This is what we need.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 29, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 29, 2015 ---
    I personally enjoyed the wars, as it gave the server a reason to play.

20. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

Minecraft UUID:
    But why? What was the reason? Anyone that joined for the first time could see old spawn and think "Wow, lot's of people have played on this server." It's also resetting part of the map, which you guys have said repeatedly will not happen.