Seriously, what's going on at this point?

Discussion in 'LOA Discussion' started by mattvision09, Apr 27, 2015.

Do you think the admins are neglecting the server when it needs their attention the most?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I left months ago, so I don't have context to compare it to.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

A spawn surrounded by a 23 block deep 5 block across ravine is not conducive to new players. There literally is no way to get out without someone giving them blocks, as a 23 block drop *will* kill you if you are unarmored.

2. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

CTCodemonkey Subscriber Subscriber Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    066eb27c-3a49-4331-b1df-815f23219ade
    That was old spawn, it was optional, and it was easy as fuck to get out. There was not a ravine surrounding the whole damn thing, I don't know why you would lie or exaggerate about something so dumb. I play on the server, I've fucking seen old spawn, it was never even close to impossible to get out. EVEN IF someone took the time to make it "impossible to get out" by digging all the blocks away, check this idea out - they could get blocks from the regenerating area in the other spawn, the one you actually started out in. Now you're just being dishonest and condescending. Just say you moved it because you felt like it, or whatever, because that's the most bullshit reason I've ever heard.

3. Anonymous Poster

Anonymous Poster Guest

a poor spawn isnt a major contributor to our problem, so i dont get the big deal. you should at least be grateful of having our admins working on stuf

4. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

We are talking about old spawn. And during the 1.2.4-1.2.5 days and some of the 1.3 days, while that was the active spawn, there were routinely craters (10-20 blocks across) that people made with TNT that went down 20-30 blocks right outside the red line. We fixed these holes every few days. There is no doubt in my mind that if we hadn't stayed on top of it, after 2 weeks or so it would be impossible to get out of spawn for a newbie. That plus the fact that people would routinely patrol the spawn border with power 5 bows means that no one has a chance to get out of spawn.

See above.

Because we, the admin team, kept it reasonable. See above.

We're still talking about the 1.2.5 days when there was no other spawn ...?

5. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    I'll have to disagree with you on that. Old spawn had a lot of issues that were fixed with the regenerating spawnpoint. Newspawn had a lot of problems that were caused by the regenerating spawnpoint (in the circumstances it was in). Switching back to old spawn and adding a regenerating area was the right move, because it neither induces rage quitting, or drives people away by making the server look untouched.

It's not like the end portal was destroyed in a pit of fire, you just have to get to it from the edge of the regeneration area. In the name of history, maybe it was a bad choice. But history isn't what matters here; it's getting LOA back on its feet.

6. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

Minecraft UUID:
    You can convince me it's not that big of a deal, but don't try to pretend like it was necessary. Why is 1.2.4-1.2.5 even being brought up? Yeah, back then it was harder to get out of spawn, that's why you're moving it two years later.

7. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    i dont get why ppl are getting salty over this

8. JacobiCarter
    Fine

You replied to a comment stating that back in 1.2.4-1.3 we regenerated spawn frequently and you asked why. I responded, and you exploded. That's how this part of the conversation started.

If you want to know why we moved spawn back, then that's another question entirely.

9. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    It was necessary. Getting newcomers to not log off the minute they visit LOA is all about image, and getting them to stay is all about what LOA really is. Before we can even think about applying change to the latter, the former needs to be changed. Things like changing the tab menu, and changing spawn (and changing Nexus) are necessary fixes to LOA's image. So yes, it was necessary. It had to happen if we want anything else the admins do to successfully bring the server back to life.

Cobi is finally talking with us when it comes to our concerns on how the server is doing. At the very least, you could calm your ass down. I'm not saying change your argument or viewpoints, but don't become part of the reason the admins have avoided these discussions like the plague.

Out of curiosity, what was your reason?

10. JacobiCarter
    Fine

In no particular order:
    • To bring us back to a more expected coordinates so newbies didn't get confused that spawn was at -110300 -110100 (pretty sure about this one) or -28000 29000 (I think?)
    • So newbies could more easily see how far they were from spawn
    • So anarchy is more evident (the regen is *very* slow at the current spawn)
    • The old spawn design was more anarchy-like
    • So newbies had a better and more intuitive way to get to the end portal
    • The PVP-ability of old spawn is still better than any of the other spawns
    • 1.2.5 worldgen looks better
    And I am sure there were more considerations, but as I am at work right now, I am not going to go look for them.

11. _AEon
    Balanced

_AEon Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    b77de6e5-7305-4738-9511-dc91b326db31
    First off: people decide theirselves if they are going to play on LOA or not, you cannot convince every TD player to go to LOA, you might get them to check it out but they will find it boring or not amusing (at least if some people just tpa and kill them).

CTC, please try not to insult people while discussing, it is just counter-productive.

Worldgen/spawn look is all subjective. I personally do not like all that soul sand below the glass ground in the current spawn because I am much simpler (which is why people are complaining about all my stone brick walls).

Having people gets you people.
    Some do not even bother to join if there are just a couple online.
    Some go away if it remains silent if they say "hello" (which personally was the reason I loved DroidFox).
    TD people may be annoying but are chatty which is why they help us having other people stay on their own way (even if they tend to drag them to LOB).

Newcomers want both: not being camped at spawn AND having some traffic at spawn to see that things are going on.
    Given the nature of LOA, this is not possible (Nexus on the other hand can do exactly that. It looks nice, innervate people to explore stuff and find some eastereggs and they can run around in circles and be idiots without getting killed. (and there are always some weird afk people with particle effects))

What do you do first if you are new to a server?

- Check out your surroundings:
    LOA: Not exactly sure where you are and what you see at the exact spawn ATM but the destination of /spawn at the "old-new" spawn always seemed a bit lonely/empty to me.

LOB: Shiny signs which can be up- and down voted if you enter the portal to LOB.
    Scoreboards with Wave count and buttons (which newbies always try to press first) in the TD section AND you're in the game.
    There are villagers (you buy things at villagers in vanilla, so it seems natural).

... or you wait too long and suddenly you are fighting against people (so natural!), although some people do not know how to select classes.)
    ... or you walk into a waterfall and see signs, click on them because whatever and find out that there is a way to watch other people.

Nexus: Walking around, finding (waterfalls not anymore) gates to walk through and you are suddenly in another world to explore more.
    You see people (which are afk but shiny nevertheless (bright white, smoke and ender particles...!)) and can jump around and explore a giant tree. The only downside at Nexus is that the leaves are able to drastically drop the FPS even at fast machines if options are set to fancy which could get annoying to noobs since they have absolutely no idea what's going on.

So. Which world (of the most popular ones) is the most interesting if you enter them first?...

12. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    When did I say I didn't want them to make their own decision as to what they do on legion? I'm simply arguing that I want them to be able to make an informed decision, and from what we've observed, many of them do not know LOA exists.

You worded that as if every TD player thinks the same, has the same preferences, and is playing legion under the same circumstances. No, I do not expect literally every TD player, or even most of them, to stay on LOA. I realize that judging by what I've seen of TD players, a lot of them will have no interest in LOA for one reason or another.

There is however (especially with the "eat and run" behavior of casual TD players), likely going to be a small minority of TD players who upon discovering LOA, will decide they want to stay. This small demographic, I predict to be the perfect candidate for who could bring the server back on its feet. They will be the people who, as long as they are on LOA, will make it seem less empty (not legion servers entirely, but LOA specifically). The reason for this is, unlike any given player to come to LOA, a TD player likely will not care about LOA being empty, and has more than one reason to return to legion (TD). Having them around could easily be enough to stop people from leaving LOA immediately.

Like you said, "some do not bother to join if there are just a couple online". That is what we've been seeing all over the place on LOA, pretty much 100% of all the welcome messages we see are for people who do not come back, and that probably has to do with the fact that LOA is empty, and meanwhile all of the chat activity (if there is any) is some scrubs clearly talking about a minigame somewhere else on the server, and annoying colored name people who are going on about drama or making stupid jokes.

If LOA looked more populated, the contents of chat would likely be overlooked by most newcomers. As I explain above, my suggestion to repopulate LOA is to make it more visible to TD players, some of whom may stay and act as a buffer that makes LOA appear less deserted.

That's good for LOB enthusiasts like you. Most of us in this thread are concerned of the inactivity on LOA, which I should remind you is also cause for the lack of activity on LOB as well. Without a permanent community like LOA had in the olden days, LOB is slow, and people are less likely to play LOB without many people.

There is a small amount of people who regardless still do participate in battles, and I'd like to think that's partly because LOB isn't separated from TD the way LOA is. The difference is that Battles and TD are similar playstyles of "join the game, try to win, repeat", and don't create permanent communities, unlike LOA would.

You can have both. Spawn ants, _AEon. Spawn ants. Back when LOA had them, people wouldn't leave immediately because LOA didn't look dead. Not to suggest that the situation then was good either; people rarely wanted to come back after an hour or so for some reason, which didn't happen back during the glory days. But that's still a million times better than what we have now, because it's more realistic to solve that problem than it is this one. But I digress. Spawn ants rarely have armor that makes them too threatening (if you plan on running instead of fighting them), and at the same time keep spawn active as intended.

And about Nexus, though I don't see how that relates to what you said about LOA, I disagree. Encouraging exploration in Nexus negates it's entire purpose as a Nexus. It's not supposed to encourage exploration around a giant framerate killing tree, it's supposed to encourage exploration in the actual servers on legion! The first portal you see leads to a hypothetical server that will probably never exist. The two most important servers are hardly visible until you walk into their respective tree tunnels, and the other 3 are on a different floor. Unlike old Nexus, it doesn't send the message that there are a lot of things to do on Legion as effectively, because you have to wander around a bit before knowing where all the portals are. Things like that should be blatantly obvious the minute you log on.

13. toamini
    Unlucky

toamini Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    0a157d17-9f10-4304-9813-b59917b98438
    You guys REALLY need a TL;DR version

14. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    at first i thought that said TD; L(t)R
    2 of the worst things ;-;
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 30, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 30, 2015 ---
    that was also Toa's 420th message. Blaze it.

In all seriousness, can automatic chat messaging system at least start by advertising LOA with vibrant chat colors?

15. _AEon
    Balanced

_AEon Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    b77de6e5-7305-4738-9511-dc91b326db31
    Chat advertisements are in gray because some people complained about them drawing attention too much (as they spread only general "Did you know?" things.

There should be an option to change those message colors or turn them off entirely. (at least some of them)

Suggestion: option to turn off certain server infos (Gray text) or change the color for the specific client.
    Suggestion: Change the color of important messages (Forum, LOA) to something like... Green/Blue/Violet.

Suggestion: Move LOA portal to the middle in the Nexus to draw attention to it.

Nexus and even people which are only in LOB matter because people being in Nexus are shown in the numbers on lists and server infos.

Also, people playing Battles in LOB are more likely to check out other servers simply because there is a waiting time between battles and they are not busy by constantly placing towers and picking up gold.

Another problem for new people might be that the Server status inside the client sometimes say "cannot connect to server" or something like that despite it is possible to connect to it.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  16. 1ntens1ty
    Notamused

1ntens1ty Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    73d69663-bc38-4b11-9e3c-3b027fd50ad6
  17. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    Interesting observation. In my mind I think that's just another reason to put an LOA portal somewhere in the LOB lobby, though I don't see much happening from LOB regulars. They usually aren't as oblivious of the server, and likely know about LOA, but aren't interested or avoid it because it's empty.

EDIT:

LOA is save! :angelic::woot:

[​IMG]

Thank you based JacobiCarter!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  18. tidag
    Batty

tidag Donor Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    a1c0c078-b62b-4d35-ab16-306438652913
    for real though you type way too much about shit

19. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    So for those who are able to AFK for long periods of time (more than just night), AFK next to the portal. Nothing draws the attention of TD players more than people standing around in a corner.

For real though, AFK there every moment you have the chance. It shall be known as the new official LOA embassy.

20. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

Minecraft UUID:
    I think bringing back the notifications for players joining/leaving LOA would be cool. I always like that feature and anything that makes chat seem more active is a good thing.