Server reform to consider

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattvision09, Dec 8, 2014.

Opinions?

1. Everyone's ideas are terrible.

23.1%
  2. Some ideas are good, some bad.

69.2%
  3. Everyone has great ideas.

7.7%
  1. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    Most of us are aware that LOA is pretty much dead, compared to what it used to be. As 1.8 plugins draw nearer, and Winter break approaches, we are coming close to a great opportunity for the server to regain the population it lost, and permanently, unlike how similar scenarios in the past have ended out.

Anyone with ideas of how to go about turning this around, speak now or forever hold your peace. We would like to hear from everyone who has something in mind, no matter how insignificant it is.

--------------------------------------------

My ideas:
    1. LOA and LOB portal in every server, to less separate the two communities.
    2. When the server updates to 1.8, allow people who are new to LOA to transfer their LOV inventories to LOA. Maybe a nerfed version of this would work as well.
    3. Make the spawn pyramid prettier.
    4. Exclude random chunks near spawn from regeneration, so it seems more anarchy-ish.
    5. LOA prizes for good scores in TD example: (VIP upgrade for 100 waves with 10 lives)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. _AEon
    Balanced

_AEon Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    b77de6e5-7305-4738-9511-dc91b326db31
    1. Portals would be at spawn. Population from LOB -> LOA (exclude TDish people because they rarely leave their corner)

2. Nice idea but has a problem: LOV does not have plugins and therefore no "protection" against hacked clients, so x-rayed items may get transferred (as example)

3. Suggestions would be good at this point (build an own pyramid in singleplayer/LOC to show what you mean?)

4. would look even more messy than no regeneration at and may be used for advantage at some point (digging down to diamond level and search for diamonds at chunk borders, for example)

5. already suggested, downvoted by the likes of you

and brasil, why are you so mean? (poll spy option ftw)

3. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    But, but, it's truuuuu.

Edit: I still don't think Seto gets the fake words.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    That's a good point about #2, maybe exclude tools/armor/minerals? Any way to get the LOV people to adjust to LOA without having to feel like it's a reset.

For #3, I was thinking it would be the kind of scenario where people are given the opportunity to build something in LOC (floor pattern, centerpiece decorations, ect), post a screenshot of it, and the admins would decide (assuming they chose to do it in the first place).

That's the point I am going for with #4. When people log on to an anarchy server, the expectation is the land immediately outside of spawn is torn up, covered with creeper holes, and there's a giant mess of dirt/wood/cobblestone pillars running all over the place. If the spawn point doesn't even resemble that, it sends a message of "Almost nobody plays here, or maybe I went to the wrong server". It's the signature spawn point look of all anarchy servers, and possibly why LOV does a better job of maintaining an audience than LOA does.
    Level [40?] and below are excluded from regeneration already, because that exact problem came up after they added spawn regeneration the first time.

Going further into #3 and #4, I would like to point out that Cobi himself has said "I like spawn how it looks now, because it looks more anarchic. Midspawn was nice, but it doesn't project the feeling of an anarchy server". The thing about that, is how the actual spawn pyramid looks is useless when the area outside of spawn appears to be untouched. Not only is it off-putting for an anarchy server, but the pyramid is just overall depressing. It doesn't match the idea of LOA being an anarchy server because "Some blocks are smooth sandstone, but some are regular sandstone, and parts of the floor are just sand, muahahahahaha." It makes the server feel empty, and I don't blame people who draw that conclusion after seeing the lack of destruction around spawn. Honestly, midspawn being decorated didn't create any doubt, or make me lose the feel that this server is an anarchy server.

The reason spawn regenerates in the first place was the solution to an issue the server had in the early days, where 90% of the time you starve to death before you can find any food or materials, because everything was inhospitable. Things at newspawn like the village, temple, well, and the spawn house are all important, as are the trees, and the grass in the taiga swamp and forest biomes. Majority of the desert can go out the window, as long as the structures (and the chaos from the exempt areas) are visible from spawn, and have some breathing room. Also, large chunks of the forest, swamp, and the 'Magical taiga that is always covered in snow, even though it only rains there' can afford to have large chunk areas plucked out, without losing the trees and the ability for animals to spawn in them.

Also, if I downvoted #5 after you suggested it in the past, it was my reactionary hate to TD people, or everyone was on the "Dumbvote _AEon coz he's a communist!" bandwagon at the time. Not that either of the two are unjust, dumbvote rampages are fun, and the last thing I want is the TD people to drown us out with orange names. During this time frame, it's different only because we want at least some people on LOA so it doesn't seem empty to the next influx of people. Any other time, it's just giving them orange names to further drown out the LOAites, a goal to try for by binge playing TD, and a bad image of LOA by all the TDians.

"I tried LOA before, it's boring. All you do is run around and die."
    "This guy made it to wave 100 on TD with 10 lives, if he said it, it MUST be true."

5. JacobiCarter
    Fine

JacobiCarter Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

This could be easily done. It was sort of what the nexus was designed for though.

This could be done, but the problem with it is that LOV has an entirely different economy than LOA. Enchants are cheaper, it isn't policed for hackers as well during the periods where it has no plugins at all, and it doesn't have the plugins to prevent things like dupe glitches (should they actually still work in 1.8).

We really wanted something simple and something open. All of the other examples we had were not easily accessible (1-3 wide/2-high entrances are hard to maneuver around when fighting). Also something that doesn't detract from the PVP-ability of the area around spawn.

This could be done, but perhaps what would be better is simply changing the regeneration rate to be much slower for the general areas. Or maybe even better, allow it to get torn up for a few days and then use that as the regeneration template.

Maybe VIP if you manage to get on the top scores board?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Palmiet
    Brooding

Palmiet Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    879f52c5-fb49-4d1d-94a6-c9dd9763f4a5
    Yes, please! I want VIP so badly!!! :arghh:

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    That's understandable, and I can see how previous spawn structures would have created such problems. But without hurting the possibility of PVP happening outside of the spawn area, or adding things that get in the way, (like the 3x2 hallways) is there something that can be done to make it seem more like a spawn point? Maybe a nether portal in one of the corners, or a mine cart on the ceiling going in an endless loop? Things that create the feeling of people being there, even when you don't see anyone there.
    I like the idea of using a template that's been beaten down for a few days, it's interesting. We'd be able to have a spawn point that looks like an anarchy server spawn point, but still keep the benefits of spawn regeneration. In this case, it might also be helpful to add *Terrain will slowly regenerate for the next ___ blocks* to the text you see when you leave spawn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

smalltanuki VIP VIP LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    6534dfd6-5c92-4033-83f0-13d03eb08996
    The TD idea is horrible. I remember D1CKHOLE and Crowbarflex bragging to a TD noob that they were on the scoreboard, and that the TD noob couldn't join their game until the TD noob was on the scoreboard (some bragging rights there!). Giving VIP to anyone in the scoreboard is stupid. More bragging rights to dickholes like the ones above. #BRAGGING RIGHTS
    And VIP wouldn't really make them want to go to LOA at all, it might do the opposite, it might make them think "Hey, i'm being rewarded for playing TD! Why not play it more?"

The spawn idea: For spawn, I was honestly thinking: A ruined temple. A ruined temple with a flat ground, lots of Stone Bricks, Cracked Bricks, and Mossy Bricks, as well as Half Slabs. My idea of spawn would be something like this: [​IMG]
    We could put vines all around it, rocks scattered everywhere, a more cracked and destroyed setting, as well as pieces of the temple scattered everywhere around spawn.
    So basically:
    -The floor looks old: a mix of Stone Bricks, Cracked Stone Bricks, Stone Brick Stairs, Stone Brick Slabs, and Mossy Bricks
    -The Stonehenge type of spawn would be what surrounds it, however, you make it look more cracked
    -Spawn Ruins
    -The 3 portals would be in the Stonehenge(s), but instead of being made of emerald, diamond, or blocks that symbolize richness, cracked blocks

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  9. _AEon
    Balanced

Minecraft UUID:
    VIP does (atm) give you no benefits at all in TD, therefore it is not rewarding for "only" TD-players but rather a pointing to LOA where it actually brings (some) benefits (1 level, if you know someone) or for LOB, which is at least a progress to get them away from "only playing TD".

Temple: built something like that some months ago... in some kind of a ... "contest" ("Hey, _AEon, let's see who builds the better temple, you have 40 minutes, without WE." (5 minutes later) "ok, I'm finished, lets compare" me: "uhm.. what? that were only around 5 minutes, let me finish my building"

Actually, stonehenge sounds good but is hard to realize in that extend and the "griddy minecraft building thing" (you cannot build exactly diagonal or work with odd shapes etc.) would make it look ugly. Would rather prefer something like LOA spawn #1 (big circle with underground building, spawning in a cage etc. maybe a bit improved because you cannot escape easily in PvP), maybe modify it to something like a floating structure with entrances at ground level. Bit modern, maybe.... floating castle? I still have to build one....!

By the way: REFORM... whats with my presentation paste? :p

SnoFox on hater list now, too.

10. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    It doesn't seem like the admins are willing to change the pyramid, unless I read something wrong. Since that's not a possibility, could we maybe add aesthetics that make spawn seem less like a ghost town.

Maybe a SnoFox bot that stares at people and mimics all their player animations, or some item frames with animated blocks, things that make it feel less like a ghost town.

11. _AEon
    Balanced

Minecraft UUID:
    A SnoFox-like bot which says butt to everyone who comes across or a bot which looks like SnoFox?

And where do you want to place it?

Item frames - no walls.

Bot - animation-mimicry would be funny for 5 minutes - and then the spawn protection is over and the slaugther begins.

Anyways, LOA seems to be more like a strategy game for me.

People do their moves, then silence (game-wise). If you don't draw attention, you keep being unaffected and small spawn bugs get eaten fast.

Events in LOA would be nice to get the fat worms out of their holes...

Spawn treasure maybe? Everytimes LOA population gets over X or at specific times with loot based on online people (include wealth of online people, so people with 10+ accounts cannot trigger it easily?)

In short: best way to counteract a ghost-town-spawn: make it less ghastly deserted.

Addition to point 5.:
    People who got to top scores at least know the strategy how to get there (as each wave for itself is the same) and could push others to VIP. Maybe only grant VIP if nobody in the group already managed to get to the high wave count?

12. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    The point of having a bot there is to make the server feel less empty. Have you ever been there at night (mc and IRL)? It's depressing. Put that on top of an anarchy server terain that appears to be untouched, and people are going to log on, maybe stay for 5 minutes if people were there to welcome them, then leave forever.

13. _AEon
    Balanced

Minecraft UUID:
    Well, problem with your argumentation is that when its night for me, it's day for you. So if I log on when it's dark here... the server is well populated :p

Well... a bot CAN be entertaining.... you're right... to a reasonable extent..

Note for Nexus: basically a great idea but if the containment of one server is enough to entertain (certain) people for a long span of time, it kind of splits the community up... and since youre able to connect directly to TD . . . OH, and not to forget that half of the portals are not even visible (upstairs)

14. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    Damn...... I don't even...... point for _AEon.

15. _AEon
    Balanced

Minecraft UUID:
    Back to topic:

To keep the server populated, it needs something special (LOB is already special and unique (because it's not on bukkit) which you can really recognize (single time I have recognized the profiler plugins were when I found some bugs :p (should check them again and update the bug list... or would someone do that for me, please)) ahem.

Purely vanilla Minecraft. Thats LOA. All fine. Until you have everything. Or you wonder where everyone is. New people think: vanilla, pvp -> amazing but may not get the logic of the server: it's more strategy than tactics... more waiting than hunting. So we need some kind of "hunting" component... or something else?

16. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    To first see how we can improve Legion servers, we must perceive what problems we have so far.

1. TD conquering the main income of new or "noobie" players
    2. LOA is way too quiet (much of the drama is here on forums, which isn't a bad thing), mostly due to inactive players (we have new players come and go, but i shouldn't be the one talking about inactivity) and a small group of active players, consisting of mostly donors/VIPs.

Overall, we need more active and consistent players.

I am quite sure that we all have our solutions to these problems.
    Opinions?

17. Anonymous Poster

Anonymous Poster Guest

1.) Everyone can agree that LOB is unique, so keep expanding the uniqueness - Maybe add a capture the flag, destroy the monument, etc. mode?
    2.) Make a deal with another server to become partners of some sort?

18. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc

As for preserving the "uniqueness" of LOB, deathmatch, king of the hill, and payload are all very boring and are all very fun at times. The variable that alters this is the amount of people. I think we can all agree that more people in a battle would equal more fun. The solution to this is more active players participating in battles. However, I am not saying a "no" to new battle types.

Speaking of more people, partnering with a separate server would have its own pros and cons.

19. brasil2908
    Zorro

brasil2908 Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    4014a6bb-e773-4241-bcad-df76460ed245
    More people=way more fun, especially if they actually talk in chat. If somebody doesn't remember the huge payload battles we've been having recently...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

smalltanuki VIP VIP LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    6534dfd6-5c92-4033-83f0-13d03eb08996
    King of the Ladders! Assassins! Bow Minigames! Yes please!
    @brasil #BowTeam

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1