Server reform to consider

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattvision09, Dec 8, 2014.

Opinions?

1. Everyone's ideas are terrible.

23.1%
  2. Some ideas are good, some bad.

69.2%
  3. Everyone has great ideas.

7.7%
  1. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

mattvision09 Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    be7905be-557a-45ec-ac88-2328905e258f
    #bowspam

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. _AEon
    Balanced

_AEon Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    b77de6e5-7305-4738-9511-dc91b326db31
    Deal with another server would result in one server being eaten in the long run (nobody would do that).

3. Palmiet
    Brooding

Palmiet Donor Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    879f52c5-fb49-4d1d-94a6-c9dd9763f4a5
    TheSetoInfinity, I was the person that they were being jerks to. I vividly remember D1CKHOLE saying "I'll let you talk to us when you get on the leader board. Maybe!" right to my face. It's funny because now I'm on the leader board, and they really want me to join their little team to take down the top-score made by cowrolls, and the Admins. Anyways, bragging has nothing to do with anything and VIP is a good idea.

Attack and Defend!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    3fc0880d-3448-4c07-bf5c-edd61656fffc
    First, let's see what a Level 1 VIP has:
    -tpa in LOA
    -basic donor classes (dragonborn, soldier, vampire, necromancer, Wile E)

If we were to give out VIPs for hard work in TD, I would say that the 2 abilities above would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Because of the Tpa, they might be more attracted to LoA. Because of the donor classes, they would be more attracted to battles to try out their new classes. However, TD prizes would result in a bigger fraction of the server playing TD since they are now even more motivated.

1.Plays Tower Defense
    2. Completes objective, then gets VIP

Once they get over this hump and achieved the goal of VIP, they can either use their new VIP abilities OR stay hooked on TD.
    Tbh, its a gamble I would take to have a bigger crowd of LOA and LOB Battles players.

5. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

smalltanuki VIP VIP LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    6534dfd6-5c92-4033-83f0-13d03eb08996
    Motivation. Why are we motivated? What would motivate them to care? What motivated them to play TD? What motivates us to play LOA? If we were to ask these questions, they probably wouldn't even be able to explain themselves.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  6. Palmiet
    Brooding

Minecraft UUID:
    TheSetoInfinity, some questions have no answers, like motivation. But the question of the leader-board players receiving VIP as a prize does. Yes. It is indeed a good idea. Listen to my story.

Let me take you back a year. I was a complete, utter, TD newbie. I never spoke, I was inactive, and the only thing I ever did was play tower defense. I played, and played, and played until finally I got on the leader-board. After that, I got bored of TD because I already had accomplished my goal. After that, I became more active, I spoke more, explored more parts of the server, etc. I started liking the server so I started spending a majority of my time on it, mostly playing death-matches, parkour, and creative. Cue mattvision09. I noticed him on the server a lot and considered him one of the 'cool kids'. I started to really like him (as a friend of course, I'm not gay) and started talking to him. After some time, he invited me to Doorknob Militia. I think y'all know the rest of my story. So I'm living proof that a complete utter tower defense newbie, would strive for VIP by playing what they love most. When they're on the leader-board and get VIP, they get bored of TD and join Legion Of Anarchy.

7. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

Minecraft UUID:
    Well not everyone is you, most TD people A) Suck B) Are addicts C) HATE LOA D) All of the above

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  8. Palmiet
    Brooding

Minecraft UUID:
    I know not everybody is me. But almost everybody on the leader-board I know is like me in that sense. Snipr10123 started playing Legion Of Creativity. JacobiCarter, crispy1989, and cowrolls were never TD newbies. cometstar34 stopped playing the server in general, Darthirony stopped playing on this server, MarviN429 stopped playing on this server. NDABUHO and kdog_70 only played on this server like once and then stopped. The only 2 people I know that are TD newbies even after they got on the leader-board are CrowbarFlex and D1CKHOLE.

9. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    Bump.

The new tab list is great, but I think there should be an empty space between server lines. It's kinda hard to read the way it is now.

Also some more things regarding the TD plague:
    • After a TD game ends, TD players should be redirected to Nexus or LOA.
    • Connecting with the TD address puts people in Nexus instead of the TD corner.
    • LOA portal in the LOB lobby.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. SnoFox

SnoFox Administrator Staff Member Administrator Subscriber VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    9f662928-1078-4fcd-b728-4798db6edf94
    Hey mattvision,

I didn't read the entire beginnings to this thread but to your last suggestions...
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. Tower Defense is not a plague. People who log into Legion for Tower Defense do not want to be forced into PvP battles nor do they want to be forced onto anarchy/survival.

I understand the problem of segmenting our userbase and do have some plans to help rectify it; however, I'm also working on LOB adjustments, administrative tools, LOA changes, and improvements to the network as a whole.It's very slow going for me alongside my normal life.

I will note that I will continue working on Legion as long as there are players, no matter how few.

• Like Like x 4
  11. CTCodemonkey
    Drama Queen

CTCodemonkey Subscriber Subscriber Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    066eb27c-3a49-4331-b1df-815f23219ade
    I agree with snofox. Diversification is a great thing for a server in general. However, when you start to split up already niche servers (LOA, LOV), that's potentially a problem.

12. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    I'm not suggesting that we put them in gas chambers or anything, but the TD people are cut off from the rest of the server. There's not much of a point to having a diverse audience when they don't know half the server even exists.

If they pop up in Nexus at the end of every TD match, they wouldn't be forced into anything. Maybe they'll just notice there are other things the check out on the server, and that on it's own will give them reason to stay longer and come more often. Don't know why I brought up LOA in that, but yeah.

13. _AEon
    Balanced

_AEon Donor VIP Donor LOF Whitelisted

Minecraft UUID:
    b77de6e5-7305-4738-9511-dc91b326db31
    Or they would just think: "WTF, where am I, how can I get back to TD, is that even possible? Shit server. *leaves*"

Some people in TD or in general wonder where the crowd is. With the new TAB they know. The only thing which may be good would be an additional phrase in the TAB like:

The Nexus is the server hub. To get there: /nexus

THEN people may try and explore. If they go there by themselves.

14. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    I have a shit ton of mixed feelings for Tower Defense as well as the Tower Defense Community.

If we zoom out of LOA and just take a look at Legion Servers as a whole, TD may be considered a good thing. It definitely brings a substantial amount of people to the server. I think we can agree that this is a good thing.

I think the thing that we (by "we" i mean the Anarchists) really dislike about TD is that it takes over the server. I agree with this 100%, but is this entirely a bad thing? However, the TDians can also be seen as a stagnant crowd that stays within its borders.

Our goal isn't to eradicate this group (even though many of us, including me, despise most of their narrow-minded intellect). Our goal is to use this gigantic crowd to our advantage. In other words, the advantage for the good of Legion of Anarchy. We must somehow direct this community to Anarchy.

Any ideas?

15. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    At the very least, and LOA portal in the LOB lobby would help with that. The main issue is only really that they don't know what LOA is, not that they refuse to assimilate. I didn't even know there was an IP you could use to connect to every time and be in the TD corner, but I think that's part of it. They see the whole thing as only a TD server, and LOA is irrelevant. That's what bugs me about the situation.

16. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

Minecraft UUID:
    Well then, maybe we could add like a DLC/Expansion Pack that gives more TD places, the ability to make your own TD place in LOC and then import it, new TD turrets, etc. for those who donate for it (you don't get it with Donor or VIP, you ACTUALLY have to donate for it), as well as a TD tag.

17. mattvision09
    Yeehaw

Minecraft UUID:
    Require all the TD players to change their middle names.

For females, they will change to "TDsimple"
    For males, they will change to "Turret"

They must also wear TD tags.

18. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    I hate to disagree, but I think such changes won't help much. Remember: we are trying to quarantine and relocate the TD players, not to kill them off. Donations (im not saying don't donate though) and providing advantages will make TD seem that it is the main branch of Legion even more.

Personally, I am neither pro nor con for extending or decreasing the TD Crowd. My central concern and wish is to relocate these players to LoA.

~Why not use those messages (yes, the ones that periodically show up in chat) to try to convince TD players to join LoA? (in a more noticeable fashion, of course).

~Once they (hopefully) join LoA, I suggest that they have a brief tutorial on the gist of LoA talking about teams, raiding, and don't-build-your-base-too-close-to-spawn type of stuff. People who just joined could have a auto private chat message or just have a book in their inv. when they join.

• Like Like x 2
  19. smalltanuki
    Eggtastic

Minecraft UUID:
    If you're trying to highlight an idea, use italics, not bold :p
    What I'm saying is "do this if all else fails"
    ^or you could give that to people if they play ___hours on LoA (50+?)

20. jh10525
    Spaced

jh10525 Donor VIP Donor

Minecraft UUID:
    wat if someone afks o_O